The required TDap vaccination will be available during registration on Thursday, July 23, 2016 from 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m at Poplarville High School.
Students need the following to be able to receive services:
- Screening Questionnaire for Receiving Immunizations – Completed and Signed
- Vaccine Administration Record – Form No. 912
- $10 cash – No checks or debit cards
- If Medicaid, must have Medicaid number written on the Vaccine Administration Record
- If Chips, must have Chips number and will need to specify which one it is on the top of the Vaccine Administration Record
The Mississippi State Department of Health will require the TDap vaccination for all students entering the 7th grade for the coming school year (2015-2016).
The TDap vaccine (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis) has previously been a recommended vaccine for this age group since 2006; but since 2012 Mississippi and 41 other states have implemented this particular vaccination requirement.
"By vaccinating our adolescents, we can decrease illness in this group and reduce exposure and illness in infants," said State Health Officer Dr. Mary Currier. "Pertussis can be particularly deadly for newborns and it is essential to limit their exposure to the disease since they are too young to receive a vaccine against it."
Additional recommended vaccinations for preteens include those against meningococcal disease and human papillomavirus (HPV), and a second dose of varicella (chickenpox) vaccine for those who have not received one at an earlier age.
The Mississippi State Department still strongly recommend the TDap vaccine for all adolescents, however it is only required for those entering 7th grade.