FAMILY EDUCATIONAL RIGHTS AND PRIVACY ACT (FERPA):
PSD NOTICE FOR DIRECTORY INFORMATION
According to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), directory information about students may be released by the Poplarville School District without parental consent, provided annual notification has been given and the school does not have on file written denial to release directory information.
The primary purpose of directory information is to allow the Poplarville School District to celebrate the accomplishments of its students by sharing information with the community. To do this, the District may submit press releases to the local media (newspapers, radio, television, online news blogs) that include student directory information, such as names, grade levels, information related to student accomplishments, photographs and video recordings. In addition, we may choose to display such information at various school functions, post information on the District website and media channels, and/or publish information in District-sponsored publications.
Poplarville School District has designated the following information as directory information:
- The student’s name, address, and telephone number;
- The names of the student’s parents;
- The student’s date and place of birth;
- The student’s major field of study and class designation (i.e., first grade, tenth grade, etc.);
- The student’s extracurricular participation;
- The student’s achievement awards or honors;
- The student’s weight and height if a member of an athletic team;
- The student’s photograph;
- The student’s electronic mail address;
- The students dates of attendance
Examples of District-sponsored publications and videos include:
- A playbill or program, showing your student’s role in a theatre production, musical performance or other Poplarville School District event;
- The annual yearbook;
- District/School websites
- Honor roll, scholarships, awards or other recognition lists;
- Informational videos
- Graduation programs; and
- Sports activity sheets or athletic team rosters
Directory information will also be made available to qualified agencies upon request. Qualified agencies include, but are not limited to colleges and universities, scholarship providers, trade/technical schools, and potential employers.
Poplarville School District will provide all branches of the military with three directory information categories for students – names, addresses, and telephone listings – unless parents/ guardians (or students 18 years of age or older) have advised the school that they do not want their student’s information disclosed without prior written consent. Parents/guardians have the right to have directory information withheld upon written request.
Any student information beyond that in directory information described above will only be distributed based on applicable FERPA rules and guidelines (34 CFR § 99.31).
To review all FERPA guidelines, visit this link: http://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html