FAMILY EDUCATIONAL RIGHTS AND PRIVACY ACT (FERPA):
PSD NOTICE FOR DIRECTORY INFORMATION
According to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), directory information about students may be released by the Poplarville School District without parental consent, provided annual notification has been given and the school does not have on file written denial to release directory information.
The primary purpose of directory information is to allow the Poplarville School District to celebrate the accomplishments of its students by sharing information with the community. To do this, the District may submit press releases to the local media (newspapers, radio, television, online news blogs) that include student directory information, such as names, grade levels, information related to student accomplishments, photographs and video recordings. In addition, we may choose to display such information at various school functions, post information on the District website and media channels, and/or publish information in District-sponsored publications.
Poplarville School District has designated the following information as directory information:
- Student’s name, address, parent’s telephone listing
- Photographs and videos used for informational or news-related purposes of a student participating in school or school-sponsored activities that have appeared in school publications including, but not limited to, both printed and digital media.
- Information in relation to officially recognized activities and sports
- Grade level
- Degrees, honors and awards received
- Dates of attendance
Examples of District-sponsored publications and videos include:
- A playbill or program, showing your student’s role in a theatre production, musical performance or other Poplarville School District event;
- The annual yearbook;
- District/School websites
- Honor roll, scholarships, awards or other recognition lists;
- Informational videos
- Graduation programs; and
- Sports activity sheets or athletic team rosters
Directory information will also be made available to qualified agencies upon request. Qualified agencies include, but are not limited to colleges and universities, scholarship providers, trade/technical schools, and potential employers. Federal No Child Left Behind legislation requires Poplarville School District to provide all branches of the military with three directory information categories for students – names, addresses, and telephone listings – unless parents/ guardians (or students 18 years of age or older) have advised the school that they do not want their student’s information disclosed without prior written consent. Parents/guardians have the right to have directory information withheld upon written request.
Any student information beyond that in directory information described above will only be distributed based on applicable FERPA rules and guidelines (34 CFR § 99.31).
To review all FERPA guidelines, visit this link: http://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html